Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd made a complete departure from their former policy by announcing in 1946 the introduction of an entirely new Bentley that was factory built throughout. It was fitted with their design of “Standard” all steel bodywork, finished and furnished at Crewe where Bentley production continues to this day. The tried and tested six-cylinder 4256cc engine was retained, fitted with detachable aluminium alloy cylinder head with inserted valve seats. This was fitted to a frame chassis which was riveted with cruciform centre bracing and a box section pan to support the front suspension components. Lubrication was by a Bijur centralised system, operated by a foot pump situated just to the left of the steering column on right hand drive motor cars. It was advised that this pedal should be depressed once every one hundred miles. The manual gearbox had four forward gears with synchromesh on second, third and fourth gear.
Despite the relatively high price tag when compared to other luxury cars available immediately after the war, the demand for this motor car was substantial. Sales were of such a brisk nature that customers were soon advised to be patient, with waiting lists for new Bentley Mk VI’s becoming ever longer, with lead times stretching to over three years by the early 1950s. Production lasted until 1952 with more than 5,000 chassis finding their way to lucky new owners making it one of Bentley’s most successful models ever. The vast majority of Bentley Mk VI’s produced were fitted with the new “standard” steel coachwork from the factory, however in keeping with tradition special coachbuilt bodies were also available upon request.
Chassis No B102KM is one of the most attractive coachbuilt options available on this chassis in our opinion. Just thirty right hand drive Mk VI’s were bodied in this style by Park Ward, built to Design No 147, with a further four bodies produced for left hand drive cars. It was completed in May of 1951 to the order of Mr G.H.Moore of Inverness and was finished in dark green and green grey with a green leather interior, as it remains today.
The car then changed hands during the 1950’s and 1960’s on a few occasions, being bought in June 1954 by Mr Northcroft of Cheltenham, in September 1955 by Mr Turner of Warwick, in October 1962 by Mr Tovey of Caerleon, in June 1964 by Mr Marshall of Leicestershire and in February 1966 by Mr Busby of Plymouth.
We believe that Chassis No B102KM was then exported out of the UK in the ensuing years but that it returned to the UK in 1991.
The present owner acquired Chassis No B102KM in April 1994 and has maintained and improved the car throughout his twenty-nine-year ownership. The history file contains several invoices and supporting correspondence, detailing the works carried out to the car by a noted independent Bentley specialist. In 2022 the car was improved further with a full repaint which is documented in the history file with a series of photographs.
Chassis No B102KM presents very well, drives beautifully and comes fully prepared for thenext chapter in its life.
Very good throughout
Four speed manual gearbox, 6 cylinder in-line configuration engine, 4.25 litres displacement, 4257cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.