The S1 Continental engine had effectively run its course by 1959 and could not be developed any further. The approximate 160bhp power output was more than sufficient but due to pressures and competition elsewhere Rolls-Royce sought out an improved power unit to deliver more speed whilst retaining the Bentley Continentals refined performance. The answer was a complete move away from the six-cylinder inline engine configuration, to an all new V8 engine boasting 6,230cc and an estimated 200bhp, boosting the power by nearly 25%. It had been developed at Crewe for some years prior to being fitted to the first S2 Continental chassis at the Hooper works in December of 1959 and was an immediate success. It was constructed almost entirely in aluminium and was of a very similar weight to the S1 Continentals engine but featured hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running. A few other mechanical aspects were modified including the braking and lubrication systems, with automatic transmission now a standard fitting, making the Bentley S2 Continental a motor car capable of speeds approaching 120mph. At a glance Design No 7508 by H.J.Mulliner would appear to be identical to the earlier S1 Continental Flying Spur, but there are a few subtle differences. These include a slightly lower radiator shell and scuttle, resulting in a slightly more downward sloping bonnet, giving the car a sportier appearance. The boot line was also lowered a few inches to sit directly above the rear bumper blade, with the rear number plate and lighting arrangement moved onto the lower section of the boot. Inside the car it came fitted with a slightly leaner steering wheel as well as stalk operated indicators.
Chassis No BC63AR which we are offering for sale was originally completed in May 1960 to the order of Sir Duncan Orr-Lewis and supplied by Jack Barclay Ltd. It was originally finished in dark grey with a red leather interior, the very attractive colour scheme it still retains some sixty years on. It was sold in June 1961 again by Jack Barclay Ltd to Mr Maxwell Joseph who retained the car until 1974 when it was sold to Mr Harold Garratt who used the car until his passing in 1992. Between 1992 and 2004 the car was stored by Mr Garratts family who then had the car re-commissioned by a noted Bentley specialist. The current owner purchased the car in 2010 and over the past decade he has instructed a bare metal re-paint, chrome restoration, new carpets and headlining whilst retaining the cars original leather, woodwork restoration and a full engine re-build carried out by Frank Dale & Stepsons which was completed in 2016, the car has travelled just 2,000 miles since this re-build. Chassis No BC63AR is one of just sixty four cars built to this design by H.J.Mulliner in right hand drive on the S2 Continental chassis, is complete with tools, handbook, period looking modern construction seat belts, copy chassis cards and a nice history file.
Good condition throughout with a recently overhauled engine.
Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.