Bentley Motors made a complete departure from their former policy by announcing in 1946 an entirely new model which was factory built throughout. The Bentley Mk VI fitted with their design of “standard” all steel bodywork was built at Crewe and began life with a 4 ¼ litre engine. It was later up rated to a 4 ½ litre engine and the basic Mk VI shape was adapted slightly in 1952 with the introduction of the Bentley R Type. The new model was almost identical to the Mk VI up to the rear doors; however, the boot was enlarged giving greater luggage capacity and arguably a more attractive and balanced overall profile. Approximately 2,000 standard steel R Types were produced between 1952 and 1955.
This example, Chassis No B239ZX was acquired by the present owner and extensively restored and modified in recent years to its present appearance, that of a Gurney Nutting style sedanca coupe. The original coachwork was removed from the chassis and a ground up restoration commenced at White Post Restorations in the United States. The chassis was stripped, repaired and restored to concours condition. A full mechanical re-build was also undertaken at the same time. The original coachwork was sent to award winning firm Marcels Custom Metal to be transformed from a four-door saloon into its present configuration as a sedanca coupe. A new interior completed the works, all finished to the very highest standards. The works concluded in 2010 and in 2013 the present owner took the car to the national RROC Rally and Concours at Lake Tahoe where Chassis No B239ZX won best in class.
Prior to being offered for sale by Frank Dale & Stepsons this car has been extensively reviewed mechanically speaking in our workshops. This is to ensure correct performance and reliability on the road, to complement the excellent cosmetic aspects of the car which are still in superb condition.
It comes complete with numerous photos documenting the extensive restoration works which amounted to around $350,000 US, a handbook, copy chassis cards, the RROC rosette from 2013 and a nice history file. Chassis No B239ZX represents a true labour of love on four wheels, a beautiful and spectacular homage to Chelsea’s finest coachbuilders, Gurney Nutting.
Excellent in every respect
Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 6 cylinder in-line configuration engine, 4.9 litres displacement, 4887cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.