The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I engine had effectively run its course by 1959 and could not be developed any further. The approximate 160bhp power output was more than sufficient but due to pressures and competition elsewhere Rolls-Royce sought out an improved power unit to deliver more speed whilst retaining the refined performance. The answer was a complete move away from the six-cylinder inline engine configuration, to an all new V8 engine boasting 6,230cc and an estimated 200bhp, boosting the power by nearly 25%. It had been developed at Crewe for some years prior and was an immediate success. It was constructed almost entirely in aluminium and was of a very similar weight to the S1 Continentals engine but featured hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running. A few other mechanical aspects were modified including the braking and lubrication systems, with automatic transmission and power steering now standard fittings, making the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II a motor car capable of far higher cruising speeds than ever before.
Most of the production between late 1959 and early 1962 were to the factory design, commonly known as the “Standard Steel Saloon.” However, a limited number of cars were adapted at the H.J. Mulliner works in Chiswick to design number 7504, retaining the basic lines of the coachwork in the form of a very elegant drophead coupe. The correct term for this rare and desirable motorcar is an “Adaptation” by H.J. Mulliner and should not be confused with cars that have subsequently been converted in more recent times. Just thirty-three original H.J. Mulliner drophead coupes were built-in right-hand drive on the Silver Cloud II chassis. Chassis No SYD 310 was originally completed and delivered in October 1961, finished in shell grey with a red leather interior. It was supplied by H.R.Owen Ltd via Weybridge Automobiles to Expertise Limited in Surrey, for the use of Mr Max Wilson of Earls Court in west London. In 1964 the car transferred to the ownership of Sir Bernard Waley-Cohen, the Lord Mayor of London. During his ownership the livery was changed to regal red with a beige interior.
A decade later Chassis No SYD310 was sold to Mr Peter Schake of Kusnacht Switzerland who retained the car for over forty years. During his ownership the car was fastidiously maintained, at first by Garage Fritz Speich AG in Zurich and then by P&A Wood in the UK. Many invoices are present in the history file, documenting the works carried out during Mr Schake's ownership.
Since acquisition, the present owner has maintained Chassis NoSYD310 to the highest standards with noted and respected Rolls-Royce specialists Harvey Wash Ltd in Essex. This has ensured a car that has been completely reliable and has performed beautifully on the numerous continental trips the car has been used on in recent years. The car also benefitted from top class coachwork repairs and a bare metal re-paint in 2019.
Chassis No SYD310 is a beautifully complete car, with all tools present and correct, its original handbook plus its power operated hood systems manual and H.J.Mulliner coachwork instructions. An original Silver Cloud convertible brochure is also present in the cars extensive history file which contains decades of paperwork detailing the maintenance and improvement records. The file also contains FIVA identity card, chassis cards, a large amount of correspondence and an original style logbook. This top-class example should be seen in person and driven to be truly appreciated
Excellent with extensive history
Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.