1959 was an important year in the history of Rolls-Royce and Bentley when looking at the mechanical development of the companies. The series one engine had effectively run its course by this point and could not be developed any further. The approximate 160bhp output was more than sufficient but due to pressures and competition elsewhere Rolls-Royce sought out an improved power unit to deliver more speed whilst retaining the refined performance. The answer was a complete move away from the six-cylinder inline engine configuration to an all new V8 unit boasting 6,230cc and an estimated 200bhp. The new V8 engine was constructed almost entirely in aluminium and was of a very similar weight to its predecessor but featured hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running. A few other mechanical aspects were modified including the braking and lubrication systems, with automatic transmission and power steering now standard fittings. The new second generation Silver Cloud and S series cars were capable of speeds comfortably in excess of 100mph whilst retaining the feel and performance Rolls-Royce and Bentley owners had become accustomed to.
Coachbuilders H.J. Mulliner had enjoyed significant success during the 1950’s with their iconic R Type Continental Fastback and subsequent S1 Continental Fastback designs. As the launch of the all-new Bentley S2 Continental chassis and engine drew closer the design team at H.J. Mulliner also looked to the future and began to make some small amendments to their S1 Continentals Fastback design by re-positioning of the front spotlights on to the top of the wing line. They also listened to their customers’ requests for anew two door design which allowed greater luggage capacity in the boot. The result was design number 7500, built in very limited numbers which was fitted with a wraparound rear screen and fins on the front and rear wings. Design number 7500 was arguably improved further for the S2 Continental chassis with the removal of the fins to allow a more graceful line. The result was design number 7514, considered by many to be the most attractive of all coachwork designs fitted to the S2 Continental chassis between 1959 and 1962.
Chassis No BC88BY is the forty sixth of just seventy one examples built to design number 7514 in right hand drive by H.J.Mulliner. The coachwork was constructed entirely of aluminium at their west London works, completed to order for each individual customer. This particular car was completed in June of 1961, finished in the unusual but very attractive colour combination of Whitehall grey over rose beige with a scarlet leather interior. It was supplied by Weybridge Automobiles to its first owner Ernest Scragg & Sons Ltd of Macclesfield who made their fortune in the textile trade, processing silk and then moving onto nylon as this material became more popular and available following WWII.
Chassis No BC88BY was supplied to its second owner Mr R Fielding in May of 1964, heading north of the border to Morayshire. It remained in Scotland with the Fielding family for fifty five years, passing to the third and present owner in 2019.
This motor car is one of the most beautifully preserved and complete examples we have ever encountered. It has travelled just 57,000 miles from new and has been beautifully mechanically maintained, whilst retaining its totally original but beautiful cosmetic aspects. It is ideal in our opinion for preservation class concours entry.
The car comes complete with all of its original literature, including the handbook, supplemental booklet specific to this model, wiring diagram, lubrication and maintenance diagram, even the original envelope all of this was delivered in, marked as per this car’s chassis number. It is also complete with all of its original tools, stowed in the boot beneath the removable panel on the passenger side plus copies of the factory records and build sheets.
Chassis No BC88BY should be seen in person and driven to be truly appreciated. A wonderful motor car that comes highly recommended.
Original and excellent
Four speed automatic gearbox, power steering, 8 cylinder 90 degree V-configuration engine, 6.2 litres displacement, 6230cc capacity. Drum brakes servo-assisted.