1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost
Make : Rolls-Royce
Model : Silver Ghost
Body Type : Cann Style Open Tourer (Ex Maharana of Udaipur)
Colour : Pale Grey
Trim : Dark Green Leather
History : From late 1906 onwards Rolls-Royce Ltd began production of their 40/50hp which later became known as the Silver Ghost. The London Motor Show at Olympia in November of 1906 heralded its introduction to the motoring world and by the spring of 1907 the first batch of deliveries were met. The leading coach makers of the time were familiar with being provided with the under carriage from the manufacturers and constructing a body to suit their customers’ requests. Rolls-Royce continued with this tried and tested method, providing chassis and engine to the coachbuilder of the customer’s choice who constructed the bodywork, painted, trimmed and furnished the car to order. Almost overnight long established coach makers who had been in business for generations had to adapt their way of thinking away from horse drawn carriage to the new horseless vehicle. The Silver Ghost became an almost instant success thanks to the soundness of its design and the pain staking lengths the Rolls-Royce engineers and workmen went to during construction. The term “The Best Car in the World” was deservedly earnt and it is fair to say that the Ghost’s efficiency, reliability and superb performance were unmatched at the time and its reputation laid the foundations for the continued success of the company. During the early days of the company Rolls-Royce enjoyed a golden period of success in India, with the Maharaja’s and Maharana’s largely preferring Rolls-Royce’s as their car of choice. Many purchased several cars during this time, the status of their choice in automobiles assisting them in displaying their opulence and wealth. The ancient State of Mewar in Rajputana, better known as Udaipur State covered an area of 12,691 square miles and was ruled in the early part of the twentieth century by His Highness the Maharanna Fateh Singh Bahadur of Udaipur. The Maharana owned several Rolls-Royce 20HP models but began his love affair with Rolls-Royce motor cars in May of 1914 when he took delivery of Chassis No 64AB, which was fitted with torpedo coachwork (Body No 5130) by Hooper, finished in dark olive with green leather interior. The cost of his new Rolls-Royce including all of the accessories was £321.2.6d. In September of 1930 Maythorn and Son of Biggleswade supplied a new limousine body for Chassis No 64AB, via Messrs. Barker-Hooper (India) Ltd. The car resembled a Phantom I when photographed in Lahore, Pakistan in late 1967 whilst in the ownership of Richard J. Baker. The car subsequently found its way to South Africa to be restored by Derek du Toit and then found its way to England, owned by Bob May of Abbingdon in Oxfordshire for several years. Most recently Chassis No 64AB has undergone a complete ground up restoration, with a new body constructed by Penny Vintage Carriage Bodies Ltd in the style of a two door open tourer by Cann of Camden Town. It is understood that six cars were originally bodied in this style by Cann, and only one is left in its original form now. The work was completed on a no expense spared basis, the finished car ready and fully prepared for long distance touring. Its cosmetic condition is hard to fault, finished in pale grey with dark green leather interior and its mechanical condition is first class, restored to the highest standards to ensure correct performance and complete reliability. The car is complete with copies of the original sales sheets and a large history file documenting its various periods of ownership and more recently, the restoration works carried out over several years. Chassis No 64AB is in top condition, ideal and ready for touring, or a good candidate to be exhibited at show level.
Technical Data : Four speed manual gearbox, 6 cylinder in-line engine, 7.4 litres displacement, 7,428cc capacity.